Did you know that the most common passwords are “123456” and “password”? Make sure you are not using one of these! Read on for tips on creating secure passwords.
PASSWORD SECURITY TIPS
- Use a strong combination of upper and lowercase letters, symbols & numbers. The more complex your password is, the better!
- Take advantage of Two-Factor Authentication (use of a pin or second login) This adds an extra layer of security to your account and makes it harder to gain access.
- Try to avoid using sensitive personal information as part of your password. Avoid using your name, pet’s name, birthday, or social security number in your passwords.
- Make passwords a minimum of 8 characters/numbers. The longer and more complex your password is, the harder it is to crack.
- Don’t use the same password across multiple sites. If one account is compromised, it makes it easier for someone to gain access to your other accounts.
- Changing your passwords regularly is a good routine to have. Try to change them every few months.