For many kids, more free time equals more screen time & the potential to spend more time online unsupervised. Below are some helpful tips to ensure your children are safely enjoying the Internet.
KEEP KIDS SAFE ONLINE WITH THESE TIPS
- Set parental controls and utilize online protection tools. Most search engines and Internet service providers offer settings to block inappropriate content.
- Ensure privacy settings are turned on to keep personal profiles and information private.
- Talk to your children about online predators and teach them the importance of keeping personal information safe – such as full names, addresses, phone numbers, and personal photos.
- Train your kids to become good online citizens. Help them recognize threats like cyber-bullying, and encourage them to report it if someone might be in danger.
- Popular streaming services offer parental controls. Use a pin code to control access to movies and shows based on maturity rating on your family’s profile, or set up a separate profile for your child that is limited by maturity level.
- Limit time spent on a computer or on a phone – Make sure your child is not spending all of his/her time online. People and pets should be your kid’s companions, not computers or cell phones! Find activities to keep your children busy.